Coconut oil is natural and doesn’t have harmful chemicals. Unrefined coconut oil is a great moisturizer. It can be used for hair and skin too.
Coconut oil can be used for various functions on the skin;
- Hydrating your face.
- Moisturizing your body.
- As a massage oil.
- To help reduce scar appearance.
- It is also be used to treat eczema
- To soothe your hands as well as a skin oil.
- It can be used to remove makeup.
- For shaving
To do all these one only needs Raw virgin coconut oil.
To soothe dry hands and as a cuticle oil
Coconut oil can help in soothing one’s dish washing parched hands. The coconut oil is naturally antibacterial and antifungal. It also smells like cookie hence good for the hands. Moisturizing your hands with coconut oil whenever you cook is also a great way of making your dry hands look amazing. It is also used as a cuticle oil. After washing your hands with soap and water, you can apply the coconut oil on the skin. Rub the oil into the skin until it is fully absorbed.
To hydrate your face
Coconut oil can be used in hydrating various parts of your face. From the eyebrows, the forehead to the lips. While hydrating your face with coconut oil, it is essential to follow this process;
- Cleanse your face using your regular cleansing routine. After washing your face, pat it with a soft towel to dry it. It is important not to pull at your facial skin because it is fragile and easy to damage.
- Rub coconut oil around your eyes. Coconut oil can work as a cream for the under eye and the eyelids. It moisturizes the paper thin skin around the eye and also improves dark circles the eye. It is also important to rub on areas that have wrinkles. It is also important to ensure that you don’t use a lot of coconut oil on your eyes because it may cause blurry vision though it doesn’t last for long.
- Apply Coconut oil sparingly on dry skin areas. Ensure that you rub gently and in a circular motion.
- Rubbing on the lips. Coconut oil is very edible hence ingesting a little should not cause any worry. It can be used to soften chapped lips and moisturize them too. It also makes the lips healthy too.
- Use the oil as a face cream. The oil can be used as a face cream before applying makeup. After washing your face, you can put a dine-sied amount of coconut oil. While using it is a face cream it is important to use it on just a patch of the skin and then analyze its effects after some days. This is because some people experience breakouts if they use it all over.
By the way, men also can use the coconut oil for shaving the face, it hydrates the skin and makes it smoother.
Moisturizing the body skin
This can be done using the following ways;
- Apply the coconut oil after taking a shower. After taking a bath, the skin is warm and supple. By applying coconut oil while the skin is still warm helps in absorption.
- To moisturize the arms. This can be done by using a tablespoon of coconut oil and rubbing in your hands until it has melted over the skin. Keep on rubbing it smoothly until its all gone.
- To moisturize your legs. This will require two tablespoons of coconut oil. Put the oil on your thighs, lower leg area and foot. Ensure to keep rubbing until it has melted into the skin.
- Moisturizing your torso. Rub coconut oil on your back, stomach, and other body parts you are willing to moisturize. You can use the coconut oil as a lotion. The oil may take around 15 minutes to get absorbed into the skin. After which you will feel fresh and a great body warmth. You can also add coconut oil to other lotions and creams that need extra moisturizing properties.
To treat Eczema
Eczema is where the skin is extremely dry. It may also cause the skin to be inflamed. Coconut oil can be used as a remedy for eczema as well as controlling dandruff. To treat Eczema with coconut oil one can follow this process;
- Clean the affected area with warm water and apply coconut oil on the area. The oil shouldn’t be rubbed in but should be left to soak on the skin.This may take some time the same time it takes for a regular moisturizer to be absorbed.
- It is important to apply the coconut oil at bedtime hence helping it get absorbed overnight. This helps one to sleep better without itching.
Coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of lauric acid. The Lauric acid helps in fighting fungal infections too hence makes the coconut oil prevent infection. The coconut oil has a medium chain of fatty acids too. These fatty acids assist in fighting fungal infections too hence makes the coconut oil prevent infections.
The coconut oil has a chain of fatty acids too. These fatty acids help penetrate the skin’s cell structure and help in healing and repair of the tissues. The fatty acids also help the skin maintain a natural chemical balance. Coconut oil also helps improve the blood flow to the skin. This enables the destruction of free radicals in the skin. In case one has eczema for the scalp; steam should be applied to the scalp after massaging the oil into help with its absorption.
Using coconut oil to remove makeup
Coconut oil can work as a cold cream. After rubbing it in the face and leaving it for a few minutes, it works better than most makeup wipes. It works perfectly on water-proof mascara. Putting a little coconut oil on a cotton ball and sweep gently over your eyes also works perfectly. The oil breaks down waxy, and inky eye makeup and leaves the area hydrated. Another great advantage is that you can remove makeup without fear of irritating your eyes.
The coconut oil will help rehydrate skin, soothe inflamed skin and in case it has redness reduce it.
Coconut oil is use with wet shaving. It softens the skin and hair after warm water has been run over the skin. The oil is safe for highly sensitive areas and doesn’t contain toxic chemicals that are harmful to the skin. You can you use coconut oil to shave the legs leaving them hydrated and never greasy. Another plus is that it has a divine smell. To use coconut oil for shaving you can follow the following steps:
- Shave at the end of taking a shower since the warm water opens up hair follicle.
- Rub the coconut oil on your legs; apply the coconut oil on dry legs since it is easy when the legs are dry. In case, the oil is solid you can warm it up between the palms.
- Ensure you use a sharp razor to shave. If the blade is sharp, it will help in providing you with a close shave and also helps reduce the risk of having razor burns caused by repeating areas.
Using coconut oil for massage.
Coconut oil has health benefits that go beyond muscle relaxation. Due to its saturation with medium chain Triglycerides, it relaxes muscles, Improves the blood circulation and relieves tension. It also soothes tired and sore muscles.
After all, it enhances the appearance of the skin because it penetrates the skin pores and ends up in the bloodstream where it has healing and protective properties. To help the hands glide smoothly during the massage, you can add olive oil hence providing enough lubrication. After getting absorbed into the skin quickly, the coconut oil will not leave any stains to in case soaked in sheets.
Use coconut oil as a deep conditioner.
Coconut oil prevents protein loss more than mineral and sunflower oil. It is advisable to use it on the skin and hair too for deep conditioning.
Use coconut oil to remove scars.
Coconut oil soothes the skin and helps lessen the scars. It can also be used by pg women to keep their skin nourished as well as to reduce scars post delivery. It has Vitamin E hence rubbing the affected areas can lessen the appearance of scars caused by burns, cuts, and stretch marks. It accelerates the recovery of skin abrasion and also keeps new acne scars from forming.
You can follow this process while treating scars with coconut oil;
- Heat the coconut oil to melt it. Apply a teaspoon of the oil onto your palms and massage it into the affected area at least once a day. To get better results one may use the oil 2-4 times in a day.
- The coconut oil penetrates the skin very well hence one should not wash the extra oil but let the skin absorb it naturally.
- You may also consider massaging the oil into old scar tissue. This will lessen the scar appearance and make the skin glow youthfully.
In general coconut oil has a tremendous effect on the skin. It is cheap compared to other medical treatments like radiotherapy, laser treatment and chemical peels hence available for those who can’t afford these expensive treatments. Not only does it have benefits to the skin, but also to the human health.
O’Conno, S. (2014, December 19). 10 Amazing Beauty Tricks With Coconut Oil. Retrieved from Prevention Beauty Natural Beauty: http://www.prevention.
kapant, j. (2015, May 15). How To Use Coconut Oil In Your Skincare Routine. Retrieved from Remedies and Herbs: http://www.remediesandherbs.com/how-to-use-coconut-oil-in-your-skincare-routine/
O’Connor, S. (2014, December 19). 10 Amazing Beauty Tricks With Coconut Oil. Retrieved from Prevention Beauty Natural Beauty: http://www.prevention.com/beauty/coconut-oil-cures-for-your-skin-and-hair
We are a team of Writing Passionates and experts in different categories, including family and relationships, health, lifestyle and more. We’d like to help with quality articles and tips for everyone.